Sunday, November 15, 2015

Shalom The Peace That Passes Understanding

 

Jesus the Prince of Peace…Our Shalom

And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:7

13 But now in Christ Jesus ye who sometimes were far off are made nigh by the blood of Christ.

14 For he is our peace, who hath made both one, and hath broken down the middle wall of partition between us;


15 Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace;

16 And that he might reconcile both unto God in one body by the cross, having slain the enmity thereby: Ephesians 2:13-16King James Version (KJV)


Shalom – Peace

I’ve prayed this over people’s lives recently knowing there is much more to it than peace alone. There is fullness, completeness, and an awareness that goes beyond peace, when we say shalom to others.

This morning our pastor started a new series called “Keep Calm and Choose Peace!” He used the word Shalom and expounded upon its meaning.

I would like to share something very personal and profound with you.

Back in July, my mom passed away peaceably in her home. I sat at her bedside watching as she took her last few breaths. As you can imagine it was a traumatic time for all of us. I didn’t know how I could bear the pain of her leaving. Being a Christian I had comfort from the Lord but still the pain is indescribable. You’ve been there; I’m sure you know what I’m talking about.

At her last breath I sat there, waiting for the devastation to hit…but all I felt was complete peace…a peace I have never, in all my life, ever experienced. I cannot even begin to try to tell you what it was like. Until this morning when Pastor Scott talked about the peace of God, then, I understood something that had eluded me before…

I believe at that very moment, mom entered the presence of God; and He allowed me to feel for a few moments what it was she felt.

I couldn’t cry…it was as if I were in a bubble of joy and exceeding great calm…my mind couldn’t comprehend it…it was euphoric…I even remember thinking..."What is this?"


WOW…

Jesus the Prince of Peace (shalom) had showered me with His grace…

If heaven is anything like what I felt…take me home now…because there is nothing like it…

Now, about ten minutes later it was removed and the full impact of my mom being gone shook my soul…and the grieving began.

Brothers and sisters I can honestly testify I experience a taste of heaven and now I understand the fullness of that peace. Understanding shalom is something I want to keep forever…all I have to do is choose His peace…and when I do that …BAM…I’m right there by faith…engulfed in total awareness of Him.

He gave us this peace; all we have to do is accept it…

Would you rather keep your worry, your anxiety, frustration, fear, doubt, stress or would you rather have His shalom…a peace that goes beyond what we feel or think…

I pray His shalom over you right now. We have a choice; I choose peace!

27 Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid. John 14:27 King James Version (KJV) 

The following is Reprinted with permission of The Gale Group from
Contemporary Jewish Religious Thought , edited by Arthur A. Cohen and Paul Mendes-Flohr, Twayne Publishers.

The Hebrew word for peace, shalom, is derived from a root denoting wholeness or completeness, and its frame of reference throughout Jewish literature is bound up with the notion of shelemut, perfection. Its significance is thus not limited to the political domain‑-to the absence of war and enmity‑-or to the social-‑to the absence of quarrel and strife. It ranges over several spheres and can refer in different contexts to bounteous physical conditions, to a moral value, and, ultimately, to a cosmic principle and divine attribute.

Biblical Usages

In the Bible, the word shalom is most commonly used to refer to a state of affairs, one of well‑being, tranquility, prosperity, and security, circumstances unblemished by any sort of defect. Shalom is a blessing, a manifestation of divine grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment