Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Garbage Collector, Devotional September 29, 2015



Matthew 27:3-8King James Version (KJV)
3 Then Judas, which had betrayed him, when he saw that he was condemned, repented himself, and brought again the thirty pieces of silver to the chief priests and elders,
4 Saying, I have sinned in that I have betrayed the innocent blood. And they said, What is that to us? see thou to that.
5 And he cast down the pieces of silver in the temple, and departed, and went and hanged himself.
6 And the chief priests took the silver pieces, and said, It is not lawful for to put them into the treasury, because it is the price of blood.
7 And they took counsel, and bought with them the potter's field, to bury strangers in.
8 Wherefore that field was called, The field of blood, unto this day.


The Garbage Collector

Today is my bible study group meeting with Beth Moore, called, Stepping Up. I was so sick yesterday I really did not think I’d make it to the study. But I did. It was wonderful I was refreshed and renewed…afterwards I had lunch with my husband, Bob.

While driving Bob back to work, a garbage truck was in front of us and a man wearing his florescent vest, stepped off the truck to collect the garbage. The thought struck me and I said to Bob, “How low does your self-esteem have to be to be a garbage collector?” I’d never thought about that kind of work before. It’s honest, hard work and if you do that for a living well, God bless you. But really…most of us, would we ever want to do that job? I know I wouldn’t. On my lists of the top ten things I’d like to be when I grow up, garbage collector never even entered my mind. And it probably didn’t enter yours either. Right? Right.

I thought about the man and his life choices and how he might have come to do that as his life’s work. Maybe he was in prison and when he got out, the only job he could get was, garbage collector. Maybe he had some mental disorder and that was all he was capable of doing. It puts food on the table and pays some bills. Maybe he really wanted, to be, a garbage collector. The hours fit his life style and he liked cleaning things up. I hardly believe that one. But at any rate…my point is, God brought to mind the garbage dump outside the city of Jerusalem. A place where all refuse and trash and garbage was taken and thrown away. It was a place to be avoided. It was an unclean place.

Then Judas came to my mind…He had walked with Jesus for three years; ate breakfast, lunch and dinner with him. He was best friends with the disciples. Slept in the same fields and kept the Sabbaths every week and each year celebrated the feasts with fellow Jews. He saw Jesus do miracle after miracle. And yet what happened? He betrayed Jesus, for thirty pieces of silver. Afterwards, he could not live with what he had done and so the bible says he went to what they call to this day, field of blood, and there he hung himself. Matthew 27:3-8. What a sad way for a life to end. Once a man of respect and comradery he was now, lost and dead. (There is debate over how Judas died but the point is, it was a horrible death.)

You may find yourself in a situation that you think is beneath you. You may be tempted to do something that is dishonest and disgusting. Let me just say this, DO NOT DO IT! Nothing is worth losing your soul.

When you have walked with the Way, the Truth, and the Life…Do not let anything deter you from doing what is right! Even if you have to collect garbage for a living, as long as you do it as unto the Lord He will bless you. To those who are last, they will be first. And the first shall be last. (Matthew 20:16) Hang onto Jesus no matter what! You will receive a blessing not only in the life to come, but here on earth as well.

Garbage collector, or CEO of a large company, when you follow Jesus you cannot lose!

Let us pray…Lord Jesus, bless that man that was collecting garbage on the road today. If he doesn’t know you save him. If he does know you bless him and do not let him become discouraged. Give him an increase and a promotion.

Whatever our profession in life, Lord, let us never betray you. But give us your grace to carry on! Amen.

By: Marla Shaw O’Neill September 29, 2015©

No comments:

Post a Comment