Thursday, September 17, 2015

Heads Bowed No One Looking Around - Devotional September 17, 2015


If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 1 John 1:9 (NKJV)

I love the old hymns. I remember as a child about six years old, I walked to our little rural church around the corner from our house, in Rocky Creek, and at the close of the service the pastor said, “Everyone bow your heads, eyes closed, no one looking around, as we sing this hymn, if you don’t know Jesus, please come forward so we can pray with you.” We sang and waited for someone to come forward to receive Jesus as their Lord and Savior. I went forward that day…I felt like the biggest sinner that had ever lived, the weight of sin so heavy on my shoulders. What could a little six year old girl have done, that she felt such conviction? All I knew was that the preacher had said if we don’t have Jesus as our savior, then we are going to go straight to Hell! I knew I didn’t want to go there….My repentance was real; with tears flowing down my cheeks I accepted Jesus into my heart that day. I thank God that I’ve known him most of my life I’m sixty-one years old now….Without him I sure don’t know what I would have done all these years. Fallen, broken, a mess….Oh yes, but the best part is, I am forgiven. Will you come forward today and accept Jesus as your Lord and Savior? Heads bowed, no one looking around, we’re singing that old hymn; while He waits for you to come home!

Softly and tenderly Jesus is calling,
Calling for you and for me;
See, on the portals He’s waiting and watching,
Watching for you and for me.

Refrain:
Come home, come home,
Ye who are weary, come home;
Earnestly, tenderly, Jesus is calling,
Calling O sinner, come home!

Why should we tarry when Jesus is pleading,
Pleading for you and for me?
Why should we linger and heed not His mercies,
Mercies for you and for me?

Time is now fleeting, the moments are passing,
Passing from you and from me;
Shadows are gathering, deathbeds are coming,
Coming for you and for me.

Oh, for the wonderful love He has promised,
Promised for you and for me!
Though we have sinned, He has mercy and pardon,
Pardon for you and for me.
By: Will L. Thompson, pub.1880 Copyright: Public Domain

Jesus let your love fill each and everyone of us today and if someone doesn't know you
open their hearts so that you can come in. Amen!

 

1 comment:

  1. May God help us to find a loving church home now and our home in Christ forever! Thank you, Marla, for your post. I'll highlight it on the Christian Poets & Writers blog - http://www.christianpoetsandwriters.com.

    ReplyDelete